View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2019, 12:53 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Engine Data 305E

I agree with you Azken. I am not trying to make a high rpm motor out of it. I am trying to make it more reliable, by installing a HEI and a Holley carburetor. This will give me a peace of mind when I start my cross country trip in it, after I retire. While the engine might have been design back in the 50 and 60 what I am doing is applying a little modern technology. I have flow tested a 305 head and intake manifold. My results have shown several area of much needed improvement (lacking maximum volumetric efficiency). I believe the engine can make more torque in stock form, I don't care about HP performance or high rpm. This is why I had the truck place on the dyno, to establish a baseline. I know the chassis dyno is not the same as an engine dyno, pulling the engine and getting it to the dyno is more work and expense. With the chassis dyno there is no seat of your pant data. If the improvements I do make does not work everyone here will know about it, cause I will be posting my results. And if there is improvements it will also get posted here. As for the max rpm of 3800 rpm I can not find any reference in the manual or on the Internet that states this. And running it on the dyno to 4000 rpm for a couple of seconds (I believe) will not hurt the engine. Also I will not place a SB or a BB Chevy engine in this truck.

Now everything I have stated before and now is my own opinions. I also welcome your and everyone else opinions. A different point of view whether something will/will not work is how we all learn. And any mistakes/improvements I make hopefully help someone else.

Last edited by James; December 4th, 2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Updating statement.