View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2018, 01:21 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1963 Custom Suburban Carryall - 95% original, all 3 seats, Mark IV A/C, PS/PB, 305E V6, Palamino Tan
62Burb is on a distinguished road
Default "Coral" - my soon to arrive '63 Burb

Twenty five years ago I was the steward of a veteran Suburban; a 1962 Custom half-ton that had been my FIL's before he passed. It survived more than 30 New England salt-road winters, multiple cross-country trips (including one to the Alaskan Pipeline - Don was an Industrial Pipe Fitter) and uncounted commutes and family camping and canoeing trips. My wife inherited it after he passed; he had meticulously maintained it mechanically and kept a highly detailed log. The odometer was no longer accurate, but total mileage was approaching 500,00, without an engine rebuild or burning oil. We had it about 4 years, at which point it was literally falling apart from rust and wear. We were leaving Colorado for Massachusetts again, for my graduate school, and said a sad farewell.

Fast forward to this week, and after a long wait, I am about to take possession of its replacement; a 1963 Custom Suburban found in New Mexico. It seems to be a basically one-owner vehicle, excepting the seller who has had it a couple months. It seems remarkably original; so rare to find one that has not been messed with! 95% original according to the seller, and the original buyer went all-out; A/C, PB/PS. Two tone Palamino Tan and Imperial White. Clamshell door, like our old one, and all three seats. 305 V6 and Powerglide. It runs (roughly) and drives. Some dings and dents (it's a truck!) and small rust issues, but nothing unusual.

My plan is to get it reliably running for next Spring/Summer Cruise Nights, with an eventual Pure Stock restoration ahead. Beyond excited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coral Driver Side.jpg (199.9 KB, Multiple views, 22 clicks)