View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2019, 04:13 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Front disc brakes

I agree with AZKen about using drum brakes from my experience driving a 1964 GMC 1500 for more than 40 years with front and rear drum brakes. Disc is probably better, but I have always been able to stop when I needed to. The truck came with "power" brakes (which were actually vacuum assist) when my father got it, and he removed the power assist because it stopped too quickly for his liking. My main concern has been brake fading, where use of lower gears to keep speed under control helps a lot. But the single pot system in these old trucks is a hazard. As I have related in other posts, I lost all hydraulic braking when a front hose broke open. The only brakes at that point were the rear "emergency" brakes that were thankfully good enough. Then the cable broke on the emergency brake a couple of weeks later, which made me realize how lucky I had been. So I think the most important improvement (which is probably needed for disc brakes anyway) is a dual master cylinder that operates front and rear brakes independently. If I can do it, it can't be too hard a job. I got a dual master cylinder for the first year that they were used on GMC pickups, and it fit. The hardest part was bending and flaring the cross-over line that I put under the engine and connected at a pre-existing fitting. Good luck with your truck project. These are hard working trucks, but they do have limits and need some fixing now and then.

JRMunn