View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:47 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
HVLP means high volume low pressure, and they mean it. If you are painting single panels or a few at a time, your compressor will keep up without a problem. The secret to HVLP working very well is an air pressure regulator (not a"cheater valve") on the supply hose set to the gun's specified working pressure. I repainted my brother's stock car twice before I figured out the rental booth was using a separate compressor for the HVLP supply line. After that, I was laying down polyurethane in smooth sheets.

Gravity feed guns like that are easy to clean, too. However, the 1 quart pot is about the limit for painting a single coat on a sedan or a truck cab without the bed.

If it is inexpensive, consider a second gun for primer, so you can set up the fluid jet and pattern for the thicker material. I use a Harbor Freight source gun for primer, and a very nice composite DeVilbiss for paint. But paint is my bag, and I have had great results with low-cost tools. Like anything, you need to learn the techniques first then adapt to the tools at hand.
Thanks WDShaffer! Man youre the paint GURU! I nominated you for the contest here for all your help.

I too had great results with cheap parts. I dont like to spend money ever so i have a lot of MAKE DO equipment. I just fixed up this old air compressor and its workin. cost = 15.00 for a baking mat plus 4.00 for compressor oil. Pretty good I think. I probably better post the writeup on it since its all Ive been doing this past couple of weeks.