View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Well this weekend was a great one. I got my Krud Cutter bottle in and sprayed it on the fenders to remove that old yucky rattle can primer.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I ran out and sprayed it all over the fender. According to online accounts I only had to spray it on, wait a few seconds and then spray off. Volia! Old paint restored.
Well not exactly...I sprayed it on, scrubbed it off. Did it again and let it sit longer. What could be wrong? Elbow grease! That's got to be it. I threw some kids at it. First one kidpower tied to a scotch brite...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I tried two kidpower tied to sponges.

Still nothing to speak of. Ok, it came off a little, but it was a LOT of scrubbing and hard work. The kids had fun, but dear ol' dad was wearing down. The Krud Kutter was a big fat fail. We waited anywhere from 30 seconds to a full hour between scrubbings and it still didn't come off well.

In a fit of frustration I grabbed a bottle of degreaser and sprayed it on, waited 1/2 hour, and took a power washer to it. It's funny how things fall together in your darkest hour, isn't it? I sprayed it and WHAMMO! The stuff just fell off like I had a selective sand blaster running over it! I almost peed. Really, two drops of pee came out. I was so excited.

I immediately started spraying little spots and running a timer to get the numbers down. This stuff didn't seem to hurt the original paint at all. I finally hit on a time that worked well enough for us. Spray it on, wait 30 mins, spray another coat on to re-wet it, then hose it off with a power washer. It's like freaking magic.

It was so much fun the oldest daughter came out of the house to run the washer on it.

That lasted all of 10 minutes because as you know power washers don't have music plugins or pump out brownies at 350 degrees. They just shoot water and that gets old to a teenage girl after a while even if Daddy is jumping around behind her like a lunatic that just found a gold tooth.

I made a video of it too to show just how easy it fell off but I can't seem to figure out how to upload it. I hate videos anyway. So here's a pic. Nom nom nom. See how clean the power washed area is? And this is a little 5.5 horse 2400 psi 2.4 gpm washer.

I should have a blue truck in a couple of weeks at this rate. Or at least I'll have a better idea of what Cecilia's bones look like if I have to do a full repaint. I am one happy camper!