Thread: 305e Start Up.
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:51 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Question 305e Start Up.

I'm working on a 1964 1502 that was used very hard as a ranch work truck it's whole life. Odometer reads 52,640. It was last registered in 1989 and has been sitting quietly inside a big barn for the past 23 years. I don't think the original owner ever changed the oil more than a couple times. I'm doing some start up maintenance and repair to get it running again. I drained the oil and pulled the pan to check the oil pump. The oil was thick with minor traces of fine dirt. Same in the filter cartridge. Oil pump screen somewhat clogged but cleaned up ok. The bottom of the pan had about an inch of peanut butter like crud but no metal parts which is good! Any suggestions out there about cleaning the engine further without doing a teardown? In the antique tractor world it's not uncommon to take one that has been sitting for many years and after getting the old stuff out, to overfill the crankcase or a transmission with diesel fuel and then pull it around at very slow rpm for about 5 minutes to flush everything inside. Anybody ever do that? And what about the new oil? Non detergent? High detergent for cleaning and breakdown of sludge? What do you guys recommend? tks. Bob Currie in Northern CA.

Last edited by Foley; May 16th, 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar