View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Well the kids are out of school now and I'm itching to do some work on my truck with them. Weather wont cooperate though. Its been raining cats and dogs.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I played with my Eastwood hammers some, banging on my rear fenders. You can

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

. I paid 80 but they're on sale right now. Go figure!

The hammers work GREAT! The dollies are very heavy so they hold the metal still while you're pounding on it so you don't rip it all to shreds. And the fiberglass handles don't ring your bell every time you land a solid whack.

I kinda want to pull the rear bumper off this weekend (weather permitting) and get it cleaned and sanded.

So I've been sitting here researching paints, primers, and polyfills. It's making my head swim. And I've been collecting parts and pieces.

I have just about decided to paint her instead of going with the patina, but I change my mind every day or so on that. My Powder Puff loves the patina look and so do I. It's more authentic to us. Paint is stupid expensive too at $400 a gallon or so. That'll make your butt pucker. And that's not including the parts associated with it too. So yeah, Patinas are great, but on the other hand Cecilia was abused alot growing up and she might not be able to walk out in public without some paint on her face.

So back to my parts blitz. I just acquired a compressor and thought I'd use a particular type of low volume paint gun with it but I changed my mind. I have read of others that did well with HVLP guns on similar compressors just taking it easy and not getting in too big of a hurry. I'll be painting one panel at a time if I paint so I think I'll be OK. Worst case I have to buy a big compressor. May as well open a shop after that huh?

Here's the list:
A creeper that folds up into a chair for my bad hip. I needed a rolling chair anyway. 2 in one! $80.00
An RPM gauge $15.00
A vacuum gauge $14.00
A radiator overflow hose. I want to put a coolant tank in eventually. $5.00
A clay bar for paint removal in tough to spray areas $8.00
A wire brush cup $10.00
A gallon of Slick Sand $97.00 Ouch
An inline water and oil filter for my compressor $5.00
A new HVLP primer gun $40.00

I'm I'll be getting my DP90 primer and extras ordered this week some time then it's learning time! I plan to make a lot of mistakes but hey, in the end I'll have a fat head full of knowledge right?

I looked around for some cheaper primer to practice with but it seems like there's only a few dollars difference in all of the epoxy primers. Disappointing. It's a wonder that anyone ever gets into body work anymore with these prices. You'd have to charge a fortune for any bit of work just to break even!