View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:52 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Now inside the panel viewing port here you'll see two screws. Remove ONLY the one pictured but don't try to pull it out. It stays in the channel nicely because it has a big head like me.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Ok, this part is another dangerous part. It's better with two people but I never have two grown people around. If you're like me and have no friends take your screwdriver and gently break loose the screw. Don't unscrew it!

Then grab the window like you see here. While you're unscrewing the screw, hold the window up so it doesn't fall when the screw backs out. Get comfy and get a good grip. After the screw backs out just work the window glass right out of the top.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

At this point your little helper probably has gotten tired of the jack and has wandered off after butterflies or ladybugs. If she left your jack in the right position (see pic) then you can now safely remove the final bolt from the lower hinge using your 9/16 wrench.

With the bottom bolt removed you only have the top bolt and the jack holding up the door. Now is a good time to let your helper run the bolt out while you stand up and hold the door to keep them from getting crushed. That's bad parenting, crushing your children. Plus the government frowns on it if you don't have a permit.

After it comes off you're left with 1960's air conditioning.

Transferring all of the hardware and parts to the new door was pretty straightforward. The glass was broken so my fingers naturally ran all over it hoping to get cut. Only my thumb succeeded.

I did have a problem with the window channel screw though. It wouldn't come out. I rounded it out with my big screwdriver so I used a skinny flathead screwdriver and it busted right off in my hand. See the piece in the screw still? Stupid Stanley tools.

And when I went to put the bolts back in I forgot to mention that the two over/under bolts are washerless. Only the one on the outside of the hinge by itself has a washer. At least on mine that's how it was.

And here's where I greased up all of the links and connections. I really hate that corrugated window channel stuff. It bites me and it's ugly.

Anyway, we buttoned her back up and got her hung by the time the wife got home and called us in for dinner. Perfect timing! I still need to adjust it a bit but it's in there and it shuts. I'm happy. I still need to replace the rocker panel but that's a job for another day.

Special thanks to CoyoteRun, his lovely wife and daughter, and his oversized generous heart for the door.

Here's a before:

And an after: