View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Power locks and nospins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
Since this thread started with a power lock differential subject, I will ask a question about them. I removed the differential cover to see how much gunk had accumulated back there, I was surprised to see really clean 90 weight and no gunk to speak of. I saw a tag on one of the cover bolts, I was hoping it was the gear ratio, but no, it said to use power lock lubricate in this unit. Seems this truck has that rear end. Now in my maintenance manual it says to add some power lock lubricant. Well my Valvoline 90 wt. says it is for limited slip applications, is this good enough or should I go buy some of the additive stuff they sell??
I've always heard about just putting 90wt in and rarely do I hear about any problems. I'm putting Redline 57904 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil in Cecilia this summer when I do her pumpkins because it came recommended for older trucks by Jay Leno and his lead mechanic. Something about less friction and easier on the seals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.