View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:58 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Toolbox Starter Kit

You can get by just fine with a cheap wal-mart tire gauge. They're all within a couple of lbs.
Feeler gauge---------------Yes!
Torque Wrench-------------Not until you get into engine rebuilding
Socket for Crankshaft (unless there's an easier/better way to turnover the engine manually?)----------Never, ever had to do this on an engine unless it was a rusted out one in a field somewhere..
Compression test kit-----------Nice to have, but cheaper to rent from an auto parts store.
Anti seize---------------------Not necessary, but ok if you have it.
Timing light--------------------Yes!
Volt meter---------------------Yes!
Fire extinguisher---------------Or water hose...
Shop light---------------------Or flash light.
Extension lead-----------------Is this an extension cord?
Jack and stands---------------Yes!
Points file---------------------Eventually

It's extremely helpful to have a breaker bar/pipe, a crowbar, and a can of PB Blaster. Also a can of carb cleaner. It works on all sorts of things, not just carbs. You can't get by without it. Another helpful thing is a battery operated impact wrench. It's cheaper to go battery than it is to go air, but if you have the funds by all means get a 700ft-lbs air impact and a compressor to run it.

If you go battery, there's only one that I'd recommend in 18v and that's the Dewalt DC820. You'd think the 823 would be stronger, but it's not. The 820 is the only one I found that would power through alot of my jobs. I don't know about the 20v models.

You'll need a spark plug socket. They don't usually come in sets.

A grinder is useful too for those bolts/screws that won't come out at all.

These trucks aren't real complicated. You can get by with the basics if you need to. It just helps to have the extra power and lubrication occasionally for the really stuck stuff.

That's my 2 cents. I'm sure someone else will add to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.