View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2023, 02:05 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Well done David.
That pattern looks pretty spot on to me on both drive/coast.
Sometimes it just takes more time to go after the pinion depth to get it looking good on the gear surfaces. I have the same feelings on the backlash .005 seems like a real good setup on new gears - it definitely will wear in a couple or few thousands. Those gears should be nice and quiet if NOS-IMHO. I have found sometimes using some aftermarket brands a little gear noise is still possible with good clearance setups, however it is benign.

I recently did 2- 3.55 setups on 1952 and 1953 pickups with aftermarket gear sets and they both were completely quiet. One could argue you couldn't hear it because of the noisy tires and suspension on one of the trucks though.Patterns are similar to yours.

Again well done, your methods, dedication and persistence to the setup process are to be commended.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump

Last edited by tbucketnut; November 18th, 2023 at 02:10 PM.