View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2023, 06:39 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Started on the leaf springs today.

The blocks that secure the axle from underneath were full of dirt and rust when I pulled them. I've cleaned out all the hard rust using a needle scaler and drilled out the small 3/8" drain holes to 3/4", ensuring no crap can build up in these blocks anymore and cause rust issues!

The second photo shows the worst bearing that I pulled out of the Dana. This is the ring gear side carrier bearing. Note the extensive spalling on the race and rolling elements. The whole race is pitted as well, I believe due to metal contamination in the oil.

Picture 3 shows the first leaf spring for disassembly. Using a little propane torch action and some WD40 the center bolt broke loose, I also loosened up the straps at the end. The old bushings were pressed out. Stengel Bros supplied new bushings which are identical to the old bushings! Very happy with them and the company. The article number for the bushings is MR164.

Before disassembly, I used a center punch to mark all the springs for proper orientation.

Picture 5 shows the front leaf spring bolt. Ended up buying a cheap wrench to use on the nut, worked quite well. Took a long pipe and some persuasion to break them loose! The other side of the leaf spring bolt was already loose... when I bought the truck. I knew about this but forgot. The nut did keep everything in place but did not exert any axial force required to keep the bolt and bushing in place - it oblonged the hole quite a bit. Forgot to take a photo... Going to build the area up with welding to restore it.

Next up: wire-wheel everything to clean up the rust, apply a rust converter, and cover them in chassis paint. Someone I know used the chassis paint on the springs as well and it is still in place, was skeptical at first whether it would hold up to the spring action of the leaf, but it seems to perform quite well. I'll remove one leaf from the package as I said before. Before reassembly, I'll also apply waterproof grease between the leaf springs.

I've ordered new 3/8 and 5/8 UNF bolts and locknuts locally to replace the leaf spring bolts and center bolts. I can easily convert a hex bolt to a center bolt by modifying the head in the lathe. Forgot to order those from Stengel Bros, oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231113_224355.jpg (157.8 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231114_123401.jpg (142.8 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231118_153608.jpg (238.6 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231118_154329.jpg (276.1 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231118_143204.jpg (196.9 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)

Last edited by Prowbar; November 18th, 2023 at 06:47 PM.