View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2023, 08:16 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Used a wirewheel on the angle grinder to remove the rust. For the leaf springs clamps securing the upper 3 springs, I heated them and let them slowly cool down to remove all the stresses from bending. After that, a rust converter was applied. This was allowed to dry for a couple of days.

A layer of 2K chassis paint followed. All the new bushings were pressed in, which went very well. The leaf springs were reassembled. Water-resistant, extreme-pressure grease was applied on each leaf before assembly. I use the vice to press the clamps back in place. None of them showed any signs of fatigue or cracking.

All springs were put back in the order that they came from. I left out the lowest leaf from the standard springs, so there are 6 instead of 7 in the package now.

Because of the temperature outside, I will do the welding job on the oblong holes later, when I have it inside again. Makes everything much easier. Right now it is freezing here. Only need to remove the 2 front bolts and raise the axle to access it.

Hope to install the rear axle tomorrow. The temperature is not ideal, but as long as the wind doesn't blow too much we should be fine.

I do drive it in the winter but not when it is wet or when there is wet salt on the roads.

Still need to redo the front suspension as well. We'll see when there is space inside the workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231128_202033.jpg (5.06 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231128_202039.jpg (3.57 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231128_204231.jpg (4.54 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20231128_214759.jpg (3.96 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)