View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Then I started removing the bolts. I started with the lower bolts first because I didn't want to be removing lower bolts when the radiator was wanting to fall on me. This is the driver's side.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Here's the last bolt. Be careful when it's close to the end! It'll pinch on ya as the radiator tries to fall a bit.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then do the other side, again starting with the bottom bolts. This side is tougher to get to (or get a pic of!)

Then I disconnected my overflow hose.

Once those three are out you can raise up on the radiator a bit. The side brackets will fall off to the side. Don't panic! That's by design.
Edited: This is not by design. The side brackets are supposed to be soldered to the radiator but apparently mine broke loose sometime in the last 50 years. I didn't find out that they were supposed to be stuck together until a reply to this thread pointed it out. Thanks David!

When my radiator came out I realized it had a drain plug on it. Well, I did it the fast way so I guess it didn't matter!

I threw the bolts I just removed in the carb dip for a cleaning. I should have been doing this with alot of stuff I've worked on but... Well hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Once your radiator is out you can hire a little Powder Puff Mechanic from your local sprinkler yard to slosh over and run a wire brush over the offending area. She got through the black, through the green copper-rust and down to the shiny copper. She said, "Ooo Daddy this is sooooo pretty!" Then she thought a second and started scrubbing again. "I'm going to find out what's under the copper!"
Oh no you don't!

Here I grabbed a couple of rubber bands and then I needed some plastic to plug up the radiator hose connections. I couldn't find any plastic lying around but I did find an empty Ritz Cracker wrapper and an old bag of Subway chips.

Hmm, they work!