View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:08 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I yanked my bolts out of the dip 24 hours after putting them in. They were not as nice as I expected.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

As luck would have it as I was pulling out my bolts the Fedex guy drove up and delivered my new wire wheel for my drill.

So I threw 'em in a vice and got to work polishing the rust off.

They looked ok, but I thought why not go ahead and paint 'em? So I did.
I put them in a block of wood I had with holes already in it. They fit.

Primer:

When they dried I hit them with this stuff. It's high heat black paint so the engine heat will be no problem.

While they dried I went back to my radiator. Check out these suckers.

So I grabbed this flux and 50/50 silver solder

I put a bucket of water under my work area to catch any solder that fell, then I set to work applying flux.

I turned on my torch to low (it blows harder when it's upside down so you gotta make sure it's low). Then I strung out my solder.

Then I just got after it. You really have to make sure not to heat it too much though. And if were doing it again I would put wet rags on either side of my work area to keep from messing up the factory solder and making more holes.
I chased holes for two weeks.

Once you think you're done you can put water in it and lean it over. Your solder only needs to hold about 7 lbs of pressure so there's not a lot of pressure there. If you did a good job it won't leak.

Don't forget to put the cap on or you'll end up with wet shoes.

I kept having weeping through the side in mine and almost never found it. Two weeks later it looked like this because there is a very small crack on the tank above the seam here that I almost never found. I soldered my butt off on that stupid thing.

In between soldering sessions I thought, what about that radiator mount? It's awful ugly. So I took it outside and sprayed it down with oven cleaner, which is supposed to clean it down to bare metal.
It didn't.

While I thought on that a bit I decided to pull that rebuilt alternator back out and polish it up. I should have done this to begin with.

Oooo Purty stuff!

I thought the alternator arm looked ugly too. Sanded and primed along with the mounting bolts.

I forgot to mention that it is very important that you keep your sugar level up while working on your truck. These are awesome.