View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2022, 10:56 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nate's Micellaneous Vehicle Thread

Did some more work for another family member. My brother bought a 1994 Chevy K2500. It has the big block 454 and a 4L80E transmission. He got it rather cheap. All service receipts were maintained since the truck left the dealership, so even though the truck has over 200k miles, we both know that it is in great shape. Regardless, this truck is only being used as an off-road and winter rig. It will not be a daily driver.

First thing we did was tackle the easy stuff. Valve cover gaskets, tires, spark plugs and wires, fuel system cleaning, and shock absorbers. Just general safety and tune-up. The tires were over 14 years old, so I took the truck to work and personally installed some new ones. Most recently we did a transmission flush. Later on down the road, we will be redoing the brakes, front suspension overhaul, and tackling some other oil leaks (oil pan, oil filter housing, oil cooler lines, etc). This truck runs real smooth. I believe it is worth saving.

And just as a side note: be careful when replacing spark plugs. I've replaced several sets in the past, but on this truck I hit an issue. After the plugs were replaced we had a slight misfire on 1 cylinder. This misfire was accompanied by a loud and rhythmic "cracking" sound. If you have ever been tazed, you'll recognize the cracking sound as arcing electricity. I had to replace each spark plug 1 by one with the old plugs until I found the offending cylinder. The plug on cylinder 2, brand new out of the box, was cracked. Instead of sparking on the electrode, it was arcing to the head through the porcelain. Replaced that plug with another new one and the issue was resolved. Never seen that before. But it just goes to show that "new" doesn't always mean "good".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211224_140120[1].jpg (2.26 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20220116_155556[1].jpg (6.30 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)