View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2014, 01:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
just bought a full set of 235 70 R15 white walls (correct for these 60's trucks) mounted and balanced w/ tax and out the door for $376.50 - will post a pic later. Couldn't believe the price - they are an off-brand of course, but they are a new tire being made from an old original mold some company bought that was used back in the 60's to cast these tires originally....can send anybody the name etc to see if you can get these where you live too
That would be great! Please post some pics too.

I had some luck with the drive over method today. I thought I'd give it one more shot driving closer to the rim, as close as I dared (actually scuffed up one rim on the driving car,

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

) and it worked!

The tools:
One vehicle that runs and drives
One sledge hammer, 3 lb or so.
One crowbar
One big ol' flathead screwdriver. Or something really tough to pry with.

First drive over the tire like this and PARK THERE. Don't move around, just park.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then get out and put the crowbar on the tire where the bead locks in.

Hammer the crowbar down with the hammer. If you're lucky, break the bead. (See side two below). If it breaks the bead the tire will be easy to push down from the rim on the side you're working on when you step on it. Just step on it all the way around and it'll peel off like an orange peel.

Then back off of it again and flip the wheel over. Repeat.

This one wasn't so lucky. If you drive on it and hammer the crap out of it and it isn't letting go, back off of it again and flip the tire around 180 degrees and drive back on the other side. That worked every time for me. If it doesn't work for you turn the tire by 1/4ths (12 oclock, 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock) until it does break free.

Finally work your crowbar back in under the lip and pry the crap out of it till it pops up and over. You might need to adjust the other side of the tire, that you're not prying on, to get more slack on the side you are prying on.

Once it's pried up work your screwdriver around. I only had to do about 3 pries with the screwdriver on this side before I could peel the tire off by hand, and I'm a weenie armed pecker necked guy.

It took 30 minutes for the first one, 15 for the second, and 20 for the last two. I'd book 2 hours to be safe before trying this at home.

UP next, more sandblasting and mounting my own tires! Learning is awesome, isn't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.