View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2016, 03:25 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
No dramas. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to buy a test kit today or tomorrow, then I'll see how I go.

If I understand the process correctly, it's just a matter of disconnecting the battery, unhooking the leads to the sparkplugs, removing the sparkplugs, reconnecting the battery and then going through each cylinder with the gauge while someone turns the engine over a few times with the throttle down all the way? I've found some tutorials online. But, like lots of things on the internet there are some contradictions.

Sorry for all the questions. My issue is that I understand a lot of the basic theories, but I have almost 0 practical hands on experience. My father was a mechanic (one of those magical types that just seemed to know everything about cars), and he spent a great deal of time talking to me about a lot of this stuff when I was growing up, but there's obviously a vast difference between thinking you know how to do something and actually having the experience of doing it.
All you have to do is pull the plug wire off the coil and you can leave the rest. Pull one plug at a time and do the test. You don't HAVE to be at WOT as with mine I was pulling 120 PSI without the wot. lol I'd do it with and without for the heck of it. Nice thing is you don't need someone to use the key switch either. You can take a screw driver and touch the power lead of the starter solenoid to the Purple wire terminal on the right side of the solenoid that will kick your starter on so you can do it all in the bay.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.