View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2016, 01:37 AM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclendon View Post
Is the fact that I've got an electric fuel pump that kicks on straightaway going to be an issue?

Trying to think about it logically, if the idea is to test the amount of pressure generated in each cylinder, then I would think that I need to leave the pump alone. Otherwise, there won't be any petrol in the cylinder, which I'm assuming would cause a false low reading?

But, if I leave the pump alone, I would think I risk frying the points and flooding the engine?

Not sure if I'm over thinking this (wouldn't be surprising if I am, it's what I do).
As far as safety is concern I would disconnect the electrical wire to the electric pump. If you did have a spark and there is fuel vapor around it could light off.

As far as other servicing I recommend changing the rear axle and transmission oil.

Did you get a front end alignment? If you do one be sure it is performed as per the instruction in the GMC manual. Most shop will place it on the alignment rack and adjust away, big mistake. These truck you need to measure the frame angle and the ride height to get the camber correct. On my truck someone had aligned it like a car with too much camber. With manual steering it was everything I had to turn the wheel while going around the corner. Once I corrected it the steering was still hard but I able to turn the wheel without King Kong helping me. On my truck the spec says -0° 15' to 0° 45' with a 2" ride height. I don't remember what my frame angle was but the manual will tell you how to calculate it in.