View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:37 PM

Truck: 1966 1002
gmccollector is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjaz View Post
Hey there Angry Pirate!. and welcome to the site.

I (still) have a '63 GMC Suburban that I bought from my Dad in Feb 1973, and the VIN plate, or serial number, is in the same place as the pic you posted from Jolly's legacy page. The page does state that this ID plate should be in the location that is shown- outside of the door weatherstrip seal and about halfway up from the dogleg. Your 60 truck has the plate in the same location as my 63, and Jolly's info that he provided matches up for 60-63 as the right location. Also checked my K-1000 Suburban, and this VIN plate is in the same location. I've attached a picture showing this.

I do remember reading some time ago that Chevy trucks had the truck ID stamped on the driver side frame rail as you stated, but GMC trucks had no such stamping on the frame. This agrees with the several 62-66 GMC trucks I have owned over the last 40-plus years.

Good luck with your truck!

Jim
Jim , 1960 and some 1961s had a kick panel vin tag or as some say , serial # . 1961s generally have an A pillar VIN tag but it is a totally different style used from 1961-1962 and possibly on some 1960 GMCs. I have three 1962s , all have the A pillar VIN like my one 1961 does , it is a mainly a black colored tag and larger than the one you posted which started on 1963 GMCs. From what I have and what I've seen NONE of the A pillar 1961 1962 VIN tag trucks have kick panel GVW tags , they have the holes there but were not given a tag . 1963 GMC has the normal GVW tag on the kick panel and in 1963 they changed the VIN tag to a spot welded stainless tag like Chevys , some may have been riveted but my 63 is spot welded on from the factory. AngryPilot "thought" his GVW kick panel tag was missing , when in actuality his 1960 was left blank from the factory. Thats what this discussion was primarily about. I've asked him now to check the dates on his engine , he might get a better sense of when his truck was built by those dates.

Heres what a 1960 GMC tags look like on the kick panel with the A pillar blank.

And this is what the 1961-1962 VIN tag looks like.