View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:59 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: '63 Fenderside in Colorado

John,

Although I have the Automatic transmission (Hydra-matic), I've added some pictures do you can see the internals. The really ONE nice thing GMC did was to place the bolt holes for the flywheel slightly off center on one set. With most flywheels you need to carefully mark where the flywheel meets the crank, so they line up again. With GMC they made two of the hole different, so you cannot screw it up. You'll notice I too made the line-up point, as I did not know this.

The crank weight in at about 45-50lbs, and is a ONE PIECE CAST. You'll need to put a block to catch the weight when you remove it, won't damage the teeth that way. IF you think getting the flywheel off is hard, try the 4 bolts hold the auto adaptor plate to the block, you have to work between the flywheel and the plate with a very shallow socket. (of course I did not have one - one more trip to the store).

In one of the pic where I'm ready to mount the trans to the block, you see an inspection/bolt hole access hatch on top of the bell housing. This is where the torque converter gets bolted up to the flywheel, 35-36 bolts, talk about a knuckle buster - my hands are big, so it was a real pain to get these in. Steve Lorio and his son from New Orleans helped me get these in.

ALSO, I don't care what engine stand you have use a 4x4 brace under the from of the block. I have an extreme heave steel engine stand, I still used the brace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x4 brace.jpg (74.0 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Flywheel to crank.jpg (70.1 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg Flywheel.jpg (93.7 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Trans adaptor plate.jpg (72.9 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Trans mate to block.jpg (82.4 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)

Last edited by jbgroby; August 24th, 2016 at 02:19 PM.