Thread: engine swap
View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:08 PM

Truck: 1965
Sonic65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwide View Post
Hello all. Need to get our 66 back on the road. the truck has sat in the garage for the better part of 10 years. Tried starting it when we moved to our new house. Got it started but the old 305 was loosing more oil out the tail pipe than I thought was possible. Question being I have a 454 in garage and was thinking of putting that in temporarily till I can fix the v6. Will the 454 drop in with some minor wiring etc. Just want to get out and drive it.
AZKEN is right, SHORTWIDE. Swapping out the 305 for a 454 or any other engine will not be a minor task. A few things you will/may have to do:re-configure exhaust, motor mount placements on cross-member, throttle linkage, probably a bigger radiator, engine mounting to existing tranny. Will installing the 454 require the entire drive-train to have to be adjust forward or back? If so, transmission mount location modification and drive-line lengthening or shortening. If you move the transmission mount, the hand brake cables will need to be adjusted. This is all off the top of my head. Oh, and fuel line modifications will most likely have to be done.

Back in 1993, I inherited my grandfather's 65 with V6. Back then I was 19 and the internet did not connect folks like it does today. Shoot, I did not own a computer. Anyway, the engine did not run and my small town parts store had little parts for the V6 so I put in a Chivy 350/350 combo and got it back on the road. There was a lot of mods I had to do. Now, I am in the process of building up the original 305E and putting it back in the truck with the original transmission.