View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: auxiliary transmissions and where to look.

Sorry to hear about your job. But Idaho is nice. Well I find them in 40's-60's 1-1/2 and 2 ton trucks mostly. All brands. I go prospecting once or twice a month. Old yards, big truck salvage yards... Farm country. I hit my pull and save yards once a week or so. My brother says my eyes are like a lizards one looking at the road the other looking to the side. I am not afraid to stop and ask about some old rig. And since I smile a lot and talk I usually can break down the most stubborn people. It also helps that I usually am driving some old relic of a rig. And most importantly I carry cash. I have some old car guys that are always after me to find them stuff. Stuff I am not even into. Most of them ask how I find things ,and it's always the same response. MAGIC. Seriously though I just ask around. One lead leads to the next and so on... This is why I am encouraging you all to look. I can't be the only guy finding this stuff. I have brought three of the boxes home this year already and have leads on two more.
Sorry for going on here, but one more thing this stresses the importance of asking around. So an old friend of mine calls and asks if it's alright to send a guy my way for a Detroit no spin for his 57 Chevy napco one ton. Sure I guess. The wife hates the truck crazies coming by the house. It usually means I am AWOL from honey do list. So off to the gear shed for a no spin. Gotta be quick I tell him I want to go fishing tomorrow. The guy walks in and does not say a word. We get a no spin and close that deal and he takes me home. Next day my bud calls and says his friend nearly had a heart attack when he walked into the garage. Not only was he proud of his napco he loved old jeeps. He told my friend he has been looking for a small brownie for his 57 for 30 years and here is this kid with 6 in a row like some dealer. Well the guy comes back and and we close a deal on one for some green money and a bottle of crown. He later invites me out to his place to look at his junk. He then asks me where I find my parts and I said I just ask around and stop and talk. Then I told him I had bought the brownie that I sold him from his neighbor about three years earlier. It was in that old 54 Chevy that was still sitting by the barn. He said I never would of thought to ask. Well I did and that's why he had to get it from me. I never did have the heart to tell him what I gave for it though.. Well next post I will get some more pics of some more watsons and some shifters. Barry