View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2021, 09:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: A 1962 GMC 1000 Series Utility with Extra Goodies

I am still just fleshing out the condition of the engine. I did a flush of the coolant and used a product called Blue Devil radiator Flush. I don’t think I needed it, because everything that came out after 4 flush cycles seemed pretty clean. I did put a new water pump in as well, so maybe that was the issue that was the culprit.

* Correction, I did need it because I got dirty blackish sooty water coming out

The engine will start with the CDI Button pushed IN, or button OUT for Conventional meaning points.

I temporarily added a mechanical water temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge. It was about 90 degrees out and I let the truck idle for about 30 minutes and these were the numbers I received. Those were with just water in the radiator.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I also changed out the canister oil filter to the Spin On factory unit.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Overall I am pretty happy with the numbers I received. Oil Pressure started out at 50lbs with the choke on and dropped to just under 40lbs with choke off after two minutes; then to just under 30lbs after 30 minutes of idle and water temperature showing a steady 175 degrees thereabouts.

They truck is "drivable"; That is, I moved it a few feet using 1st gear and 2nd (SM420), E- Brake works and pedal holds, but not ready to road test yet. I need to work on the brakes shoes, cylinders and hoses and then some tires.

Also I have been polishing up that aluminum topper little by little and it is shining up pretty well after so many years. I used Mags Aluminum Polish

Last edited by Funky61; August 9th, 2021 at 11:47 PM.