View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2023, 03:10 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Hello GMC nuts.
Little update and some progress on the truck.
Been working on finishing the cab and getting it ready for primer. Filled all the drilled holes in the cab from a couple gun racks and other things hung on the interior over the last 60 years. My mig welder got a pretty good workout over July fixing some rust issues on the rears portion of both front fenders. The rear fender braces looked good but the rust came from all the debris trapped in the bottom of the braces on the inside of the fenders. It is a classic spot on these trucks to get cancer.
Disassembled both doors removing the side glass ,regulators and door latch mechanisms too. Found that both doors needed small patches along the bottom in the front and rear. I knew I would find it because the 5 year old paint job was bubbling in those locations. Didnt find any rot through but there were pin holes and the metal was thin there. I think the patches were only 3" by 4" in size maximum. Was able to get rust reformer in behind the patches so that should cure any possibility of that happening again. I plan on wire brushing the inner door area as much as I can get and coat it all in rust reformer then coat with a bedliner material or undercoat. Next I'll reinstall the doors on the cab and check for fit before prepping for primer.
Cheers for now.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drivers4.jpg (3.14 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg drivers.jpg (3.44 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG-1210.jpg (2.28 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG-1213.jpg (3.48 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG-1214.jpg (2.20 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump