View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2016, 07:50 PM

Truck: 1949 Flxible bus with a 401 v6
br-549 is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves

Greetings, I'm a newbie here so be patient with me. We own a 1949 Flxible bus with a GMC 401. I posted photos awhile ago. The bus has been sitting for 25 ++ years in a barn and was stuck when we bought it a few months ago, We just tried to make our 1st trip- approx 450 mile to the FLX rally in Loudonville OH this past weekend. In Venna WV, we stopped to spend the night. The next morning the bus had a dead miss. LONG story but i was able to determine i had a stuck intake valve on number 1 cyl.
When we pulled the head the engine was VERY clean except for the intake chambers? I had to drive the valve out of the head but after we cleaned the valve guide and and valve stem they where fine. No warp, no wear. So, what caused this? We completely cleaned the head and made it home using the old gaskets and such. Now i realize several things- the timing was to high, the valve where adj. to tight, the points where a little off, but was this enough to cause excesive carbon? We are now running Marvel mystery oil in the tank and crankcase as well as lead additive in the gas. I am going to need head gaskets at some point i guess just because i reused them. Help me here- what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input.

ja