View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:34 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hydraulic clutch 62 GMC burb 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Don't know of any "cables". There is a tubing/hose to the slave. GM has gone back and forth over the years. The hydraulic ("fluid") clutch is very nice, used on many vehicles today. The "dual" master is available, the slave is available, both at reasonable prices. I have a good choice for a flex metal hose to slave instead of expensive "original". Your decision will also be based on which side your fork is on and your clutch pedal design. I'm pretty sure your original truck was Hydraulic as Jeannie says. I'm guessing 60-66 305's used same bell housing, same pedal assy.
Greetings fellow club members!

1962 is the only year that GMC used a hydraulic clutch. When I converted my '63 Chevy 30 Series from inline 292 to the GMC 305 V-6, I had to make some changes to my Chevy since the 305 came from a '62 GMC. I had to cut another hole (used a hole saw) in the firewall to accomodate the '62 GMC master cylinder, and I had to change the clutch pedal and linkage under the dash for that master cylinder. Viewing the truck from underneath, the clutch slave cylinder and release fork arm are on the passenger side (starter side of engine) of the truck. Trucks equipped with mechanical clutch linkage and bell cranks will have the release fork arm on the driver's (left side) of the vehicle. Hydraulic Clutch bell housings and mechanical clutch bell housings cannot be interchanged because the release fork arms will be on opposite sides of the truck as I have explained. I hope you find this information useful.