View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:15 PM

Truck: 1966 1500 fleet side long bed
MeganK is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition Mystery

First and Foremost thank you all that have helped a new owner sift through some basic questions.

I have had my 66 for about a month now and I have done everything I feel I needed to do to see if I can get it running.

When I bought the truck the seller turned on the key, lights went on and we cranked the engine... just for a second or 2....

I get in the truck for that moment of truth turn the key on and nothing... no lights on the dash no power. I checked the battery, battery cables, connection at the starter and all were getting power.

I did nothing with this part of the system and now nothing. The only thing I had done in the cab was to replace the aftermarket steering wheel with the original. So out of desperation I changed it back to the crappy aftermarket wheel. turned the key, dash lights up. engine cranks...but I only cranked it for a couple seconds to get gas and oil into the system. I go to crank it a second time and no lights no power all over again.

In my head it seems illogical that this issue would be tied to the steering wheel/column so my next guess would be to start looking at the ignition switch wiring. Ignition wiring and diagnosis is a notch above my skill set and the previous owner seems to have had a passion for electrical tape and leaving wires to nowhere.

I am not sure if having the 500CI Cadillac motor and TH400 transmission adds to the complexity or not but I feel like it shouldn't matter. FYI I was able to narrow down the engine to a 1973 but without taking it apart I still don't know if it is a 472 or 500.

Not sure if i should invest in some kind of remote starter switch or fix what will eventually need to be fixed anyway.

thanks all

Megan