View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need ignition upgrade help/advice.

I am sorry AZKen, but I totally but respectfully disagree with your comment that 'trick' ignitions do not make a difference on stock motors. I have had the experience of the difference too many times on stock as well as race motors to agree with what you are saying. I am 72 now so I have worked on and owned many, many motors in my time, and have tried many things. Engineering facts come into play. The wider plug gap these ignitions allow one to use gives better lighting of the fuel charge. Multiple sparks like the MSD uses keep lighting more charge as the swirl in the cylinder passes the mix past the plug. Yes, we are talking milliseconds here, but it adds up. As compression comes up with the piston approaching TDC it takes more voltage to get the spark to jump the plug gap, so systems with stronger spark will keep working dependably with the beneficial wider plug gap. Have you ever tried a system like the MSD and drawn a truly objective conclusion based on facts and observations? I do not think you would say what you are if you had given them a really good, objective try. A stock system consistently blowing my doors off does not hold well for me with well over a thousand passes down the drag strip, setting and still holding the record number of class wins at Osceola drag strip and hours upon hours behind the Massey 478 and other motors in the field. The enhanced systems give much better long-term dependability at a higher level of performance than the stock system. On the strip, track, or hours in the field it is long term dependability one needs. The MSD system gives reliable spark even if system voltage drops a bit or goes higher due to some system malfunction you may not be immediately aware of, or may happen for only a short time. A tenth of a second, even a few thousandths of a second lost due to that on the strip and you go home. I have won and lost races by .001 second. Again I want to say I am not trying to put you down, just that I cannot agree from experience. This is an example of the freedom of speech we have in the good old USA that grants us both the freedom to have an opinion and express it respectfully even if we walk away still disagreeing. Many times both people learn something!