Thread: hard start
View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: hard start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
why is it so hard to start my 1963 gmc 1500 305v6 in cold weather. 2 barrel stromberg
As Azken indicated, your hard starting problem could be any number of things ranging from weak spark, worn starter bushings and brushes, improper oil viscosity for cold weather conditions, (which shouldn't be a problem if you're using 10W30 or 10W20 oil) weak spark, or choke not being fully closed for cold starting, or a very weak or underrated battery. When I was in Technical School, we (students) were taught that on a day when the ambient temperature is 0 degrees F, a battery loses half of its cold cranking ability. In other words, a battery rated at 400 CCA (Cold Crank Amps) is reduced to 200 CCA ability. So, one by one, you will have to start chasing down these gremlins starting with the easy ones first. Make sure that your choke is fully closing, (and fuel is getting to the carburetor) proper oil viscosity for winter weather conditions, Ignition system tuneup, (new points condenser and spark plugs) check for possible weak Ignition coil, and then you can go to the more serious problems like a weak starter due to bushing and brush wear. My answer is a bit lengthy, but these are all things to be considered for hard starting in cold weather conditions. And I'm not being preachy, or in any way indicating that you are not mechanically inclined, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can based on my own experiences.