View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:07 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating

I certainly agree for the most part that I want to get to a point where I'm doing the majority of the work. But, at the end up the day facts are facts. If the vehicle is getting work done in a garage that specializes in vintage cars then I'm going to feel more confident about the outcome than what I would if I was to attempt to do it myself. Particularly when you consider the fact that at the moment I've got a socket set and pretty much nothing else.

At the end of the day, I'm just not the type of person who is going to feel like I'm somehow less of a guy simply because I'm willing to defer to someone that knows more about something than what I do. In fact, that's half the reason why I don't have a problem asking what's possibly seen as stupid questions in this forum. This is all a process that I've only just started. Personally, I think things like
Quote:
Rebuild the engine cause it's noisy huh....hmm...I guess he's never head of solid lifter cams.
comes across like the type of know it all bragging that I just don't think helps anyone. For example, even I know that there are a lot of reasons why an engine might be making more noise than it should. It seems pretty reasonable to think that a vehicle that is close to 60 years old might have a bit of piston slap going on.

If that's the case, why not look at doing a full rebuild? If the idea is for it to be the best than it can be and you've already committed to having the engine out, wouldn't it make sense to do it all while you're at it? I think so, others might not but that's ok.

Anyway, I guess my point (as this has gone off topic a bit) is that if my dog has a scratch, I'll take care of it myself. But, it's got a broken leg, I'm going to take it to a vet. Same idea. I'll do the work that I'm comfortable and capable of doing, and I hope with time that covers more than it does at the moment. But in the meantime, I'm not going to get my feelings hurt simply because a mechanic or an auto electrician or whoever knows more about this than what I do. That's why they're getting paid to fix cars and I'm getting paid to do what I'm doing. That's also why I come here, because there's loads of people that know more about this.