View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cool article on V-12's, transmission adapters

Thanks for the link, Jeff.

I like to read the comments and discussion about the 12s. That's where I get the most enjoyment out of the two I've restored. It's amazing how many people never knew of their existance.
I wonder why GMC never tried to improve their fuel consumption, but maybe engineering glitchs didn't allow it. I had a neighbor whose natural gas line had to be shut off for a few days, so he set a 1,000 gal propane tank for short term use. Consumption was 22 gal per hour on propane,--no typo. Most people around here believe fuel cost was their big downfall over all else. Other have said they thought GM built them too good, and they lasted too long.
Another thing people notice and ask about is the distributor drive that runs a set of points, condenser, rotor, cap, and coil for each bank. It's fun to pull one coil wire off and it will run just fine on one bank of 6 cylinders like an in-line 6.
I've never met anyone around here who used them for irrigation motors who had one bad word to say about their durability and longivity.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; September 1st, 2013 at 10:33 AM.