View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:39 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I hurt the baby today.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I was feeling the Cecilia bug and pulled her around to the garage. She needed air in two tires so I did that and charged her battery for a bit. Then I took her down to the school to pick up the kids. They were pumped

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

But then when I got back I thought, I have a little time! I'll see if I messed up that gear connection to the shifter and maybe that's why she doesn't stay in 2nd gear.

My thinking is that when I put the transmission back together I missed when I aimed the forks into the gears so it never truly sinks into second gear anymore. It just pops back out when I apply torque.

So I drained her new fancy tranny fluid. It was dark and probably could have used a draining anyway. Check out the cracks in my brand new paint job. What's up with that? I must have done something wrong. Best to learn my technique stinks now I guess rather than after I paint her all over.

Then I took out the four bolts holding the tranny cover on.

Actually I took out three, then I had to remove one of the mounting bolts to get the fourth one out.

Then I fiddled with the big pepsi can looking gear inside. It seemed to be lining up OK with the fingers of the shift cover. I put it back on and that's when my world turned upside down. I tightened the cover and heard a loud POP!

As you can see I cleanly busted the entire ear off of the bolt hole on the transmission! AHHHHH!

One of the bits of the shift cover wasn't settled in properly and it was gapping at the top (which I couldn't see from underneath) and when I tightened it down it popped on me.I wonder if I can weld it? If not I guess I'll be in the market for another one. Dang it! Horrible timing, Fetch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.