View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2019, 01:31 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

So I cleaned up the terminals with a dremmel and a tiny wire wheel attachment. It worked great! i checked the resistance with a multimeter too and it was zero. Then I soldered the broken copper back together.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

With that part registering good again I thought, may as well clean all the connections up and get some dash lights again! So I wire wheeled (very lightly) all the electrical connections for every light. Now my Gen light works, my Low oil light, my Hi Beam, and Turn Signal, and even my night time lights work most of the time! Woohoo!
I still have a short on the light pull-out switch somewhere that keeps the night time lights from being 100% fixed. If I wiggle it it works.

Anyway, now that the gauge was good, i still was having problems with the gas registering right. Now instead of showing it 1/4 or 1/8th of a tank empty, it was FULL ALL OF THE TIME.

That means the resistance was 100% from the gauge to the ground wire, through the float! More mystery!

I put the multimeter on the sending unit this time and it showed zero connection. That's not right! I pulled the sending unit. I ran it through it's range and still got nothing until the very end of the range, at the FULL setting. It wasn't much though, huge resistance, as it should be at full.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I traced it back checking for resistance and found that the break in connection was in the dang float resistance meter thingy (pictured above). I popped that open (it was only 20 something bucks) and looked inside. It worked at the top, like we already knew, but just under that the little tiny wire inside was broken! aha!

I think this must have happened when I bent the tab and moved it past it's intended area. I'll take blame for this one. To fix it, (no pics) I just bent the broken wire back under the neighboring wires so that it stuck with its own pressure. Now that I think about it, that's probably not a good idea. A broken connection in a gas tank?
I wonder if it'll spark if things get bumpy?

Looks like I'll be ordering a new one. I just scared myself.

Anyway, this is what the gauge looks like right now.

Not too bad, huh? Oh, and look at this cool sticker I found in my speedometer area!

It looks like that place is an inspection company now. I wonder what happened to it?

Well, that's it for today. tomorrow I'm going to try to tune the engine a bit and get her moving again. then I need to fix that 2nd gear issue that's driving me crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.