View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:57 AM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Head gaskets 351

I see a lot of thought about high compression racing engines going into this discussion. I propose that there are parallels but not so much because of compression ratio/cylinder pressures. The V-6 motors do not have high compression ratios and high cylinder pressures. When I go with the jet cut soft copper gaskets, especially for the gas motors, I will not be using compression rings. I will be very sure all surfaces are flat and will use ARP studs. I will coat the copper gasket with a light coat of Hylomar and hot re-torque. The solid copper to cast iron interface bleeds away heat very efficiently, that does not happen as efficiently with a sandwich gasket. Copper does not burn so there will be no torching through with them in these low compression motors without fire rings. The shop could not cut it with a laser cutter for that reason. Also you can change compression ratio a bit by how thick the copper is you use for the gaskets. McMaster Carr, an industrial supply house out of Chicago and other locations I buy from has the soft copper for head gaskets in sheets. With all of the problems I see happening here getting gaskets I am now even more convinced I will be doing it. If it does not work, fine, I will fix it another way but I am quite sure I will not have to. I have been in the engine building business, both stock and race, for over 50 years as a one time full time job and now as a sideline to a design engineering job. We have the capability here on the farm in our shop to do everything needed except boring and crank turning. In the 50 year time I have seen a lot of gasket failures so I have a good idea of the mechanics of it along with the curing of it, drawing on that experience to set the pathway for this concept I am going to follow. So, your good wishes for my success with this low cost alternative will be helpful!