View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2018, 03:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: '64 3/4 305V6 fleetside rebuild

Rust is scary. The good news is "it's just metal". You can cut out the small holes and weld in new metal from a donor car or if the hole is small, you can just weld up the hole. Then just grind it down and paint it - good as new.

For that roof, make sure to spray in some rust killer before sealing up the holes. Kents makes an "inner panel rust-proofer" that comes with a straw. Many guys have used it in the roof panel and door panels with great results. Just poke the straw in, dowse it all down real good as far and wide as you can reach, and let it dry. Then seal it up and call it good. It should last another 100 years.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

If you don't know how to weld, take her to a welding shop or a welding school and they'll weld it up for you. But you need to do the cleaning work and rustproofing yourself.

Why:
The first thing i learned about having a classic truck was probably the most important. "No one cares about your truck but you."

People will tell you it's cool, they'll slap you on the back for a job well done, but not a single person on earth will take the loving care with your truck that you will. In fact, they're more likely to kick her, do half-rear jobs, and take short cuts with her repairs than to do her right. Every. single. time.

There's great welders on here. Bodywork guys too. I think WDShafter may be a bodywork guy, but I know he's a painter. I wonder if you can just be one or the other?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Anyway, rust on these thick old trucks isn't a killer. You can fix just about any part of it with a little willpower and a $100 tombstone welder.

(sorry for the long post)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.