Thread: My 64 GMC 1500
View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2020, 05:22 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My 64 GMC 1500

cbeeker,

This is mostly in reply to issues James brought up. He makes a good point about reducing booster sensitivity. I don't really know how my booster was connected or who put it in (factory, dealer, or previous owner) because it was out before I started working on the pickup. But I haven't found any extra holes or bolts for connecting one. I have 4-wheel drum brakes, and the most weight I carry is a load of oak wood. When loaded, the rear brakes don't lock unless I push really hard, and I try to leave lots of space to stop. Use of dual cylinders and disc brakes in trucks came along at about the same time, so I would expect them to work better together, and the add-on systems I have seen use some sort of proportioning valve to regulate front and rear fluid flow, but I don't know how these work. In fact, I sort of gave up on learning new auto systems when points were replaced with computers and my timing light was replaced by more expensive equipment. I guess one reason I keep the old truck is that I can still work on it. My 2008 Dodge is much nicer to drive and the diesel engine pulls a lot more. But someone else fixes it.

jrmunn