View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2023, 09:50 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default A simple turn signal cam fix

The turn signal cam broke a long time ago on my GMC.
After finding dozens of threads about the turn signal cams breaking and without any simple solutions, I found a method to easily repair them. See pictures.

I used a coiled leaf spring that is used in an (older) electric motor to press the carbon brushes onto the rotor. The center of the spring has a folded tab, which can be used for the cam part. The width of the spring is close enough that it needs no modification.

I unwound the spring, cut it off, and fitted it to the proper length. I then used a small carbide PCB drill to drill a small hole in the spring, which was then enlarged with a 2,5mm (.100") drill. A smaller hole was then drilled in the top of the cam, where the arrow is pointed. A small screw, used in consumer electronics, was used to fasten the leaf spring to the turn signal cam. I only used one screw, and it seems to work fine.
That spot was chosen because the plastic is solid there, which allows for a strong connection. It is best to predrill the hole to avoid unnecessary tension on the plastic. Experiment to find the right size first. In my case, it was a 2mm hole (0.080")

I then tested it for function and it works fine! I reassembled the steering column without any trouble. The turn signal cam works and cancels the turn signal as it should again. Anyone with a bit of mechanical skill should be able to fix their turn signal cam this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230816_222331.jpg (186.4 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20230816_204022.jpg (218.1 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)