View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:23 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

Quote:
Here are some examples of the 1960 Harley-Davidson Tank Badges. They used this for the badging on the truck. In fact, the trucks color scheme was chosen to go with the current trend of Two-Tone paint schemes from Harley-Davidson. I am grappling with the idea of adding the artwork back to the truck. I may wind up going with the new vinyl cling on product. That way, I have the option to peel it off without going back to the paint booth. Any thought or suggestions? No cussin, purists. It had this very badging on it since 1959, when Mr. Grover took it to our local sign shop, and had them paint it on. I like the truck in its current bone stock paint. But I grew up with the badging, and like it too.
I think it would be a fun idea to be able to letter it up like then when desired to bring back the look of the time back then. I was a a sign painter for a few decades but haven't been full time since 2001. At that time static clings were pretty much a product that could only be used on the inside of glass, and pieces that large were not prone to be re-used many times. Probably the tech on it has improved greatly since then. There were pressure sensitive light-tack vinyls that could be easily removed but it was only a one time deal.

Back then I did several multi-piece hand-painted logos on magnetic sheeting. It's a great product and when taken care of, it could last for many years. About all you need to store it when not in use is a piece of sheet metal big enough to hold the pieces without overlapping itself.

I gotta say again (and again, probably) that your history and story with this super-nice GMC is a great read!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday