View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake Drums Won't Come Off

I just realized I never gave an update here. I did replace the master cylinder. While bleeding the brake lines I found that zero fluid was getting to the right front. No wonder it was pulling left, the right front wasn't doing squat. Replaced the hose on that side and all was well; no more pulling and a new MC working good.

Now, I was not thorough at that point, I never pulled the front drums to inspect the shoes, etc. So Rusty was back on the road, serving me well until yesterday. I was driving to town and started hearing an obnoxious scraping noise; so, back to the house we went. Pulled the drum on the side scraping and the shoes are shot...big time. I definetly should have checked them back when I was replacing the MC. There is a pretty significant groove in the drum, so I assume I will need to replace it. The question now is, with the drum riveted to the hub, I assume I will be drilling those out and the new drum will no longer be attached to the hub in that manner? I will take the both front drums to see if the one can be turned or not, but I expect not.

Also, are local part store chains good enough to get shoes and drums from or is it best to use an online source?

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W