View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Truck: 1965 930 & 1965 K20 & 65 C10 combining into one truck.
quest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake Drums Won't Come Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphaynes View Post
Bare with me here. The only car with drums I have ever dealt with is a 78 Buick Regal. Those drums just pulled right off. Having not checked the brakes on my 2WD 65 GMC 1000 since I got it; and because it is pulling to the left if I hit the brakes hard, I figured it was time to take a look. Problem is after pulling the front wheel I could not get the drum to come off. It spins freely, so I assume it is not the shoes causing the problem. However, there seems to be three rivets in the drum; shown here at 2, 6, and 10 o'clock...

Do these have to be removed? I find it hard to believe that a 49 year old vehicle has never had the drums pulled.

Thanks.
I used to do these old brakes for a living... but Canadian models... they usually have one ore more large machine screws holding them in place I have not seen them riveted like that before.
I would keep those rivets until you verify the condition of the drums. If the drums can be saved then you might need to machine them at a brake shop if it is time for a brake job. if not them just clean everything up make sure everything works including the adjusters and reset your brakes. Make sure you have balanced braking power, that means all cylinders and parts are moving freely and not sweating/leaking.

You may as well repack your front bearings and put in new seals at the same time because if they have not been off in years then they will likely leak when you put them back on.

Have fun and wear dust mask, brake dust is nasty stuff, not good for you!