Thread: 1904 Holley
View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:18 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1904 Holley

I have found this to be a very common problem with these carburetors. Next to impossible to find a used one that isn't warped at the float bowl to body interface. Seems that the carb body warps more than the bowl.

I have trued up a couple of mine using this method: Place a suitable flat piece of aluminum, 3/16" or so, over the carb body where the bowl attaches. Place the carb body in a large vise so that the vise gently presses against the flat piece of aluminum. Place a block of wood against the opposite side of the carb. Notice the areas where the carb body is warped (not flat). With a propane torch, carefully heat the high spots and gradually tighten the vise. Continue going around the edges of the body with the torch and slowly tighten the vise until the body lies flat against the aluminum. You may not get it perfectly flat but it should be much better. Careful with the torch or the pot metal could melt. Allow it to cool. When fitting the float bowl I have also had to enlarge the screw holes as needed to get the screws to line up with the threaded holes in the body.

I see that Permatex has a fuel resistant gasket sealer which might be something to try, along with a slightly thicker gasket than originally used.