View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Ok guys, I finally had time to dig into poor ol' Cecilia yesterday. I pulled the tranny just like before, except I clamped a vise grip on the 4wd shifter first, then took out the u joint bolts, the inspection cover for the clutch, and the four bolts on the front of the tranny.

When I got it open, 1st/reverse gear was stuck on neutral. Second gear was stuck on neutral. Neither would move.

Why?

Somehow two or three of those small needle bearings that go on the center of the main shaft fell off and got chewed up under the 2nd/3rd gear that slides back and forth. See the paste that the gears turned that bearing into...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Thankfully these are tough transmissions and it pretty much just ate one bearing for dinner and froze up with the other two in the gears that the second/third gear clutch runs back and forth on. The gray spots on the teeth here are the paste the bearing left as it got chewed up. I had a rebuild kit on hand so I just cleaned it up and put new bearings in.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Also, those rubber bands I put on the bearings the first time do NOT disintegrate after a few days.

This time I used brake caliper grease on the bearings. It was thick and good at holding everything together. For the fat bearings at the bottom, I just stuck them in the transmission housing and lined them up with a long screwdriver, then put the washer on them to hold them still.

Everything slid back together without a hiccup, then I tested the shifting with a pair of vise grips. Shifting was smooth, nice, and second gear now worked. Finally!

It's going to rain this weekend so probably won't be until Monday before I get it back in but as soon as I do I'll be on the road again. I miss my baby girl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.