View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2021, 02:10 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your loss of bed parts, David. Thank goodness your grandparents are OK. Like you said, sheet metal can be replaced. Not so with grandparents.

I have no idea what European wrecking yards are like, but perhaps you could find a Chevy or GMC bed in one of them. I even bought a whole Chevy pickup one time, just to get the bed off of it for a GMC project (already had a good tailgate), then sold the still running pickup minus the bed. Some future owner could always build a flatbed for it. At least it sounds like you've still got a good GMC tailgate.
Thanks for the reply Ed. Unfortunately European scrapyards aren't close to the level of 'goodness' American scrapyards are, most cars are empty shells unless they just got in. Finding a 60-66 pickup would be impossible unless it had some kind of accident damage - maybe. It is always worth looking around of course. Here in the Netherlands we have a couple of scrapyards that specialize in USA made vehicles.

My other game plan was to get a set of repro bedsides. They are available, and from what I've seen on the Brothers Trucks youtube channel, they fit proper and seem to be of good quality. I might start a thread in the bodywork section, pretty curious what other folka experience with these is. Hopefully they are a step up from the chinese non fitting junk. They are pricey though so there is that. As for shipping, we have a shop specializing in US pickup parts, they import parts from the USA. Meaning shipping costs would not be an issue here.

Maybe good sections of the original bedsides can still be salvaged - we'll see.
The tailgate is rare, glad to have it, hopefully the warpage is manageable.

Not planning to go with a flat bed - I like the original/factory design the best.

David