Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:11 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

Wow, it's been a long, long time. This was such a lengthy post I thought I'd take a minute and share what I did and what the status is now.
Misfires, shaky steering wheel on take off, vibration, whining noise, etc. are partially corrected.
Whining was related to rear end (of course). the seal at pinion was shot. The tiny spring around the seal was spun and broke. While removed, I also had the bearing changed (easy and cheap at that point) it was weak. also put a redi sleeve added to assure no more leak. Bal drive shaft and added u-joints. NO more noise.
Still have shakiness on take off; pretty smooth after that. exhaust is still stinky which leads me to think carb (rochester B). GMCDAC wrote about this. I have a remanned carb but that doesnt guarantee anything. Im wondering if the seal around mixture screw is crushed. When I set the carb it only requires about 1/4 turn to satisfy vacuum and idle. I was told if the inner seal is crushed it will probably run rich. Since my plugs carbon up quickly it sounds like a rich running engine.
Doug do you sell Roch 250? Esp rebuilt by you? If so, what is the process?