View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Truck: 1969 4000 ToroFlow, Massey Ferguson 1100 with a 478, Payloader with a 305, all adapted in my shop
massey478 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy!

Thanks for the comments, Powerstroke! Oh how I remember all of those long days you speak of! Another fellow on Red Power put a 702 V-12 in a TD18. I sent him a Rockford hand clutch assembly off one of my irrigation pump 702's to use on it in trade for his transmission, clutch assy, etc. off the truck he took the motor out of. He is in the cold Canadian north. He runs 'cat trains' with the cats hauling supplies over frozen lakes to remote settlements and dwellings in the winter, pulling sledges. He trails a long cable behind because sometimes things go submerged and the cable allows recovery. To read of his experiences I do not know how he endures all of it. If I remember right he has one of the old Lombard type engines that had a gas motor used for logging also. I do not know if he is still at it. I would favor the Massey Harris 44 or 55 for a power-up because they use all Timken bearings in their transmissions and finals. IHC uses ball bearings. I have seen the nose broken off the mainshaft in M's because low gear puts all of the stress on it. They were famous for shelling out the inner rear axle ball bearing, then there was not enough room between the bull gear and the housing so loose ***** would get between bull gear teeth and push out the bottom of the case. In their defense, this was usually the result of low oil level in the case. The angle of having one wheel in the furrow starved the upside bearing so it failed then the ***** went over under the low side gear and cracked the case. Lots of IHC's did a lot of faithful work, so not meaning to dis them.