Thread: Grampa's 60
View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2016, 01:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1960 GMC 3/4 Ton
Walys60 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grampa's 60

I understood the same thing as far as the breakers adding up to more than the 100 amp but was told by a contractor friend of mine that it won't meet code. Of course that doesn't mean I couldn't swap what was in there with breakers that add up to 100 if/when I ever needed to pass an inspection

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Fetch, like David said, you might want to run a sub-panel. A plug will only do so much. I have an extension cord wire nutted to my lights and I'm running a string of 24 lights and my boom box size radio and satellite radio off the same plug from the house on an extension/surge protector, and I DID just run my drill off the same mess yesterday to put one screw in for the light switch gang box...but I turned off the lights first

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

. Having lights is great, but I would hate to try and run like that permanently.

Quick breakdown of the costs for the sub (round figures)
$170 for #3 wire for box to box run (60ft)
$30 for #4 bare copper ground wire
$22 for 2 grounding rods
$70 for 2 100 amp breakers
$40 for 125 amp sub panel
$25 for 1 1/4" pvc conduit (already have the glue)

Of course, I'll still have to put breakers in but haven't bought them yet. But all should be done for under $500. Not that I'm counting anymore...bleeding cash on this thing!

Last edited by Walys60; March 10th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.