View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2022, 05:54 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
Working on the frame paintjob. Already did the rear of the frame while it was on the ground, now doing the frame rails underneath.

I'm using this product for the first layer:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Basically a product that penetrates the surface rust on the frame. This seals off the rust. It is applied with a very light coat. luckily the frame had very little loose rust that had to be brushed off first, so this saved a ton of time.

When this coat is fully completed, I can move on to the final paint. This is a black chassis/frame paint from Monopol. It is a 2 part deal, based on epoxy.

Some places of the frame I cannot reach right now, because other parts are in the way. These will be done later, whenever the cab is lifted off. I will do what I can, which is the frame and crossmembers, parts of the radiator support etc.

To project the several grease fittings on the front suspension and driveshaft from dirt and dust, these are small cups available for them. To try these out I have fitted them on the grease fittings. We'll see how it works out in the long run.

Also discovered that the oil pan and bellhousing recieved a nice dent, luckily no rubbing from the flywheel. See picture.
My experiences are that many oil pans look like that. I think I sold/traded off all my spare undented ones (and a few with minor dents). The flywheel cover is a nice item to have, although I don't think any of my trucks actually still have theirs. I might have one or two in the barn or garage that I intended to put on a truck ... eventually.

*I say eventually since I have a '63 305 V6 that has the Holley conversion and Electronics, along with the Scotsman plaid covers that has been waiting to go in my '63 for at least 10 years now. Sitting right next to the wife's motorcycle that has been on the motorcycle lift for about the same amount of time (and I have not heard the end of that! Every summer... )
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500