View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Problem with clutch disengaging

The last time I had to deal with a clutch the discs were still available, but had to be ordered. Now I understand you can't get them..

I have a clutch disc in my office, I am pretty sure it is a GMC since I don't actually have any Chevrolet... And the spring pack and "nose" are on the same side of the disc, which means on the Chevrolet disc they are on opposite sides. There isn't enough clearance for it to work with the Chevrolet disc. The recess in the flywheel is just enough for the bolt heads.

There are two different release or throwout bearings, a long and a short so the shop was correct on that. I found out the hard way... An important part to look at when working with the clutch is the input shaft bearing cover. It doesn't just cover the bearing but also the input shaft and the throwout bearing "rides" on this. With the wrong bearing or improperly adjusted bearing, this can break off. My first 4-speed didn't have this and it took me quite a while to find a cover that was intact.

The clutch adjustment rod should have two nuts on it, so once adjusted it doesn't change. I had mine back out on a lonely stretch of road. -funny story, when it did that and I got the truck stopped, there was a nut of the same size and thread on the shoulder of the road-

As of late I haven't been the most active or the "best" source of information. But if you have questions and need to look at manuals, http://www.oeltd.net/doc/6066.htm is the site for my trucks and there is a link at the top to my manuals. Some of the manuals have had sections scanned in, so take a look and see if I have scanned in what you need. If not, email me and I will try to scan in whatever information you are looking for.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500