View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem with clutch disengaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Sound like you have problems with the disk. Why don't you get a 12 inch kit for the truck and call it good.
Thanks to Barry's suggestion, my truck is back on the road. I replaced my 11" clutch with a 12" kit. I looked at several 12" kits around here locally and the center hub on the forward side of the clutch disk stuck out about .25", so I ordered the same one that FetchMeAPepsi ordered/installed (Rhino Pac - Part# 04-528 - through WWW.AUTOPARTSANDSTUFF.COM for $177.00 delivered). The center hub only sticks out about .06", so there is ample clearance to the flywheel. It was three weeks before they could ship the kit out, as they did not have it in stock.

Turns out my old pressure plate was weak enough that it would not disengage the disk, but was strong enough to pinch the disk. I now have the recommended clearance/slack between the adjustment rod and clutch fork.

Now I have to take my rebuilt 11" clutch (that fell apart) back to the shop and get my money back.

Thank you all for the feedback.

I took several pictures of the clutch kit and will post them soon.

This weekend I'm installing an electric brake controller and 7 way RV connector, so we can tow our camper that is currently being built.